It’s not too often you find someone who will opening tell you your breath stinks. With so much exposure to the mouth it is vital it stay fresh and clean. We all have experienced bad breath, but the importance of the matter is to prevent it from happening again.
Here are 10 tips for preventing bad breath:
1. Brush your teeth 3 times a day and floss once daily.
2. Clean your tongue before bedtime by scraping with a plastic tongue cleaner or brushing gently.
3. Prevent hunger breath by eating regularly and avoiding fasting or skipping meals.
4. Ask your dentist to recommend a specific cleaning system that can help clean your mouth more thoroughly than with just regular brushing.
5. Keep your nose and sinuses clean.
6. Stimulate saliva flow with acidic fruits such as oranges and lemons or sugarless citric gums and candy.
7. Eat more fibrous foods. Chew fibrous vegetables such as parsley and wintergreen to stimulate saliva flow.
8. Drink at least 8 glasses of water daily to keep your mouth moist and to help rinse away odor-forming bacteria.
9. Decrease alcohol and coffee intake.
10. Ask your doctor or pharmacist whether your medications are causing problems of dry mouth that may be leading to bad breath.