World News (September 29, 2017)

0

 

 

WASHINGTON (AP) — Citizens of eight countries, including North Korea and Venezuela, will face new restrictions on entry to the U.S. under a proclamation signed by President Donald Trump that will replace his expiring travel ban.

The new rules, which will impact the citizens of Chad, Iran, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Syria, Venezuela and Yemen, will go into effect on October 18.

The restrictions range from an indefinite ban on visas for citizens of countries like Syria to more targeted restrictions. A suspension of non-immigrant visas to citizens for Venezuela, for instance, will apply only to certain government officials and their immediate families.

The announcement comes the same day as Trump’s temporary ban on visitors from six Muslim-majority countries was set to expire 90 days after it went into effect. That ban had barred citizens of Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen who lack a “credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States” from entering the U.S. Only one of those countries, Sudan, will no longer be subject to travel restrictions.

“Making America Safe is my number one priority. We will not admit those into our country we cannot safely vet,” Trump tweeted after the new policy was announced.

Unlike the first iteration of Trump’s travel ban, which sparked chaos at airports across the country and a flurry of legal challenges, officials stressed they had been working for months on the new rules, in collaboration with various agencies and in conversation with foreign governments.

To limit confusion, valid visas would not be revoked as a result of the proclamation. The order also permits but does not guarantee case-by-case waivers for citizens of the affected countries who meet certain criteria.

 

 

LAS VEGAS (AP) — When Luis Ramirez finally reached his mother after the powerful Mexico earthquake, he learned her home was so badly damaged that it had to be demolished.

He considered getting on a plane from New York to help her find a new home but it was too risky now that the program that has been shielding him from deportation is being phased out. He tried to send money but the usual courier that he uses shut down because of the damage from the 7.1 magnitude quake in his home state of Morelos.

“The situation is eating me alive because you can’t do anything,” he said about sending help to his mother from New York City.

The earthquake that killed nearly 300 people and destroyed dozens of buildings in Mexico set off a frantic response in communities around the U.S. as people desperately try to connect with their loved ones, figure out ways to send emergency help, money and goods as well as raise funds for smaller towns around the capital they say are receiving less help from the government. Those in the country illegally wish they could travel to help their loved ones cope with the aftermath but are afraid they wouldn’t be able to return.

“We saw people desperately trying to connect with their families. Lines were down. They couldn’t think of other ways to find their relatives,” said Ana Flores, who heads an office for the Mexican state of Puebla in Passaic, New Jersey. “We have gone through all of the feelings from anxiety, to anguish and now trying to find all the support we can.”

Traditionally a month of parties for Mexicans who celebrate the country’s independence from Spain, September has dealt one blow after another. It started with the aftermath of Hurricane Harvey in Houston, which has the third-largest population of Mexicans in the U.S. Then on Sept. 5, President Donald Trump announced his decision to phase out the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program that shielded from deportation nearly 800,000 immigrants, the great majority from Mexico, brought to the U.S. as children. Another earthquake struck in Mexico’s southern coast on Sept. 7, killing at least 90 people.

The earthquake has Mexicans in the U.S. glued to their televisions and their phones trying to get specific news from their local towns to help their families.

 

 

President Donald Trump’s criticism of players who kneel during the national anthem sparked a mass increase in such protests around the National Football League, as about 200 players sat, knelt or raised their fists in defiance during early games. A week ago only six players protested.

Most of the players locked arms with their teammates, some standing, others kneeling, in a show of solidarity. A handful of teams stayed off the field until after The Star-Spangled Banner to avoid the issue altogether.

As he prepared to board Air Force One to return to Washington from New Jersey, Trump said the players protesting the anthem were “very disrespectful to our country” and called again on owners to stop what he considers unpatriotic displays in America’s most popular sport.

“This has nothing to do with race,” Trump said. “This has to do with respect for our country.”

The President’s attack on athletes turned the anthems, usually sung during commercials,  into must watch television shown live by the networks and Yahoo!, which streamed the game in London.

One of Trump’s biggest supporters in the NFL, Patriots owner Robert Kraft, joined the chorus when he expressed “deep disappointment” with Trump.

“I like Bob very much. He’s my friend. He gave me a Super Bowl ring a month ago. So he’s a good friend of mine and I want him to do what he wants to do. We have great people representing our country, especially our soldiers and our first responders and they should be treated with respect. And when you get on your knee and you don’t respect the American flag or the anthem that’s a problem,” Trump said.

The protests started more than a year ago when former San Francisco 49ers Quarterback Colin Kaepernick refused to stand during the anthem as a protest of police treatment of minorities.

Victoria Montgomery is a Freshman Broadcast/Mass Communications major from Jackson, Mississippi. She will be a contributor to The Campus Chronicle for the 2017-2018 school year.

0 comments